Sunday, April 7, 2013

#7: I Regret to Inform You

I regret to inform you
that these words that are bursting forth from my left
ventricle don't circulate in my blood in the pattern you were taught
in school but move through my sternum as a sound wave suppressed
that is channeled into my fingers.

I regret to inform you
that these thoughts are so dark
that those who love me are too scared to finish reading
and I am too scared to read these stanzas to the ones
whose blood my smile helps pump

(better that I howl absurd as Allen Ginsberg
than close my eyes to make the world drop dead
as Emily Dickinson)

I regret to inform you
that sometimes these poems are reminders of
the essence of life as death
and the enjambment can only make me hope that
after death
comes nothing.



--
prompt: 7. I Regret to Inform You
"Write an ode to one regret that you have."

1 comment:

  1. I regret to inform you that despite your attempts to convince me otherwise, you still have a spark in you that keeps you going and makes life worth fighting for.

    ReplyDelete