Saturday, November 21, 2015

there is still hope

Sometimes I can think about Judith Butler and Michel Foucault after I step out of a patient's room.

Today I was the harbinger of bad news to a Mexican man who was likely an undocumented immigrant with no good source of longitudinal clinic care. The rules about what hospitals vs. clinics can do for you seemed very silly to me as I explained them, even though I know these institutions have different functions for good reasons.

Things in medicine that make you feel soulless: referring someone who you're pretty sure is unlikely to follow up.

Does this feeling get less shitty with time?

Do Guatemalan clinicians in government hospitals feel bad about this? Do they become blunted from repetitive interactions like this? Will I?

No comments:

Post a Comment